LCM Spring Break 2024: Reconciliation and Renewal in Northern Ireland
We live in a culture where everyone seems to be ‘dug in,’ defensive about their values, and deeply suspicious of anyone who does not share them. We are divided along lines of politics, religion, geography, race, and class. We long to connect with others, and still, we hold our values for a reason – they are deeply held, formed over a lifetime, and informed by our religious traditions. Is it even possible to build and sustain relationships across lines of difference in a culture that is so fractured?
If you are interested in exploring these questions over your Spring Break, learning from people in Northern Ireland, and taking rest in the history, traditions, and natural beauty of that place, consider joining Lutheran Campus Ministry-Twin Cities for our Spring Break in 2024.
- We will stay at the Corrymeela Retreat Center, and will both learn and rest together under their care. They were founded after WWII, and played a significant part in the peace process in Northern Ireland after “The Troubles.” In short, they know something about walking with people who are deeply divided. From their website: “Our vision is that by 2025, we will have contributed towards a more cohesive and hope-filled society by welcoming thousands of people into courageous conversations which deepen our respect for each other so that we can live well together.” They will lead our programming, which will include conversation and challenge, AND a chance to explore and rest in the countryside.
- Cost is $750. Scholarships are available. If you or your family has capacity to contribute additional dollars, we welcome that contribution.
- We will ask you to collectively participate in raising $17,000 additional dollars to fund scholarships and the remainder of our trip. We will work together to do this!
- There are only 12 spots available, so if you’re interested sign up as soon as you can to indicate your interest in the trip!
- Still have questions? That’s okay. Get your name on the list (using the link above) and we’ll invite you to our informational meetings in the Fall.